Our baby was born on the 23rd day of September, 2002.
So maybe there was a good reason why Miles arrived a week late — September 23 turns out to be a very auspicious day. For one thing, it’s the Autumnal Equinox, so there’s a nice seasonal/celestial connection.
The 23rd also turns out to be John Coltrane’s birthday – who better for a child sharing a name with Miles Davis to share a birthday with than John Coltrane?
And then there’s the 23 connection – in the works of William S. Burroughs and Robert Anton Wilson, much is made of the significance of the number 23. We’re not numerologists, but Scot and friends have always taken pleasure in uncovering the strange preponderance of the number 23.
- Homo sapiens are given 46 chromosomes from their parents: 23 male and 23 female.
- The human biorhythm cycle is generally 23 days long.
- It takes 23 seconds for blood to circulate through the human body.
- There are 23 vertebrae in the human body.
- Geosynchronous orbit occurs at 23,000 miles above Earth’s surface.
- A full turn of the D.N.A. helix occurs every 23 angstroms.
- The tilt of Earth’s axis is roughly 23° accounting for the changing seasons and the procession of the Zodiac.
- The Dog Days of Summer begin on July 23 when Sirius the Dogstar rises from behind the sun.
- 23 Skidoo
Technically a Libra, Miles was born on the cusp between Virgo and Libra. Like we care ;)