This is a radically shortened version of my Medium piece Spotify vs. Apple Music (Why I Canâ€™t Switch)
I see Apple Music as having six major advantages over Spotify:
- Better audio quality (but not by a landslide). This is not just my subjective impression – Google it for verification.
- 100,000 track max library size, compared to 10,000 at Spotify (thatâ€™s a deal breaker for me – I could not even fit my â€œfavorite tracksâ€ into a Spotify library).
- Full-screen album covers instead of being forced to view tiny thumbnails (sorry, but cover art is really important to me, maybe Iâ€™m just old school). Though in the switch from iTunes to Music, cover art is now limited to 600px square, unfortunately.
- Freaking amazing query-based playlists (Smart Playlists). Spotify has nothing comparable.
- Ability to switch any view between Songs view, Albums view, Playlist view. IOTW you can view a Playlist as a collection of the albums they come from, etc.
- Vastly superior/easy to use integration of all of your out of print or manually digitized audio content into your cloud space. Spotify makes this difficult if not impossible. This is a deal breaker for people who spent years digitizing their LP and CD collections.
For me, itâ€™s just no contest. I tried Spotify for a month and found it pretty lame in comparison, given that the pricing is pretty much identical. AM gives you a lot more for your money.